The Big List of Whistler’s Winter Adventures
Winter could be the best time of year to visit Whistler. Not only is it a magical winter wonderland with beautiful views of the Coast Mountains, it is THE ski resort to visit. With 8171 acres of skiable terrain between Whistler and Blackcomb mountains plus runs for beginners and expert skiers and boarders alike, there is an adventure for everyone.
If skiing or snowboarding is not your thing, do not worry, there is plenty on offer to ensure you get the full Whistler Experience. Whistler is not short of exciting activities for the whole family with Axe Throwing for those indoor days, and spas for those relaxing days.
When you are finished your day you are in the best place for aprés with some of the best bars and hotels in British Columbia. You need to make Whistler your winter holiday this year.
11 Winter Activities in Whistler
Our list will go through the best Whistler Winter Activities to ensure you make the most of your trip to Whistler.
Skiing and Snowboarding
Quite possibly the number one Whistler winter activity, the skiing and snowboarding here will leave you breathless. There are 36 lifts, around 200 runs, restaurants and cafés on the mountainside and plenty of off-piste terrain. There is a lifetime of skiing conveniently in one resort.
Head up to the peak of Whistler and shred it down the Peak to Creek run. A seven-mile blue run that will give your legs a true work out. And on Blackcomb head to the Crystal Hut to fuel up on waffles before heading down Ridge Runner into a wonderful mix of green runs back to the base of the mountain.
Even better, included in your day pass for the Whistler Blackcomb Ski resort will be access to the Peak to Peak gondola. You can take in the views on a glass-bottom gondola and ski and board on both mountains in one day.
- Price: For lift tickets, we recommend purchasing in advance online as this will save you time and money on your trip. Prices may fluctuate for lift tickets, but will usually range from $100 CAD to $200 CAD for a day pass.
- Location: Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains
- Perfect for: Everyone who enjoys skiing and boarding, from beginners to experts.
2. Backcountry and Ski Touring
For more experienced skiers and boarders, the Whistler backcountry is beautiful. Get away from the lift lines and head out in search of untracked powder. Hire a fully qualified and knowledgeable guide to take you on a tour of the mountains to suit your group and ski and board ability.
- Price: Varying depending on group size and length of the guided tour. Expect around costs of around $175CAD per person.
- Location: Backcountry of Whistler, Squamish or Pemberton.
- Perfect for: Experienced skiers and boarders looking for more adventure and less queuing.
3. Heli-Skiing and Cat Skiing
Take another step up from ski touring and get deep into the powder in the backcountry. Take a ride in a helicopter and be dropped on top of a mountain, or rip through the trees and shred back down fresh lines. Heli-skiing is on our bucket list!
- Price: Heli-skiing from $1050CAD for a full day, and for cat-skiing from $599CAD
- Location: Whistler backcountry
- Perfect for: Advanced to expert skiers and boarders.
Zip above a snow covered forest side by side with a friend one of Superfly’s dual zip lines. Zip tours run year round, but nothing can beat sightseeing over a winter wonderland. Beautiful boardwalks and trails connect each zip line so there is always an opportunity for sightseeing in-between exhilarating journeys through the trees.
Wrap up warm for winter trips, and don’t forget your camera!
- Price: Adults $129.99CAD and children $109.99CAD
- Location: A shuttle can take you from the Whistler village directly to the Zip Lines which are based just north of the village.
- Perfect for: Families, couples, groups, bachelor and bachelorette parties.
5. Sleigh rides
This is one for a romantic evening out. Wrap up in blankets and relax on comfy padded seats as a horse-drawn sleigh takes you through the snow and onto the lower slopes of the mountain. This will be an unforgettable evening with a loved one or a group of friends. Choose a sleigh ride to celebrate an anniversary, or even use it to set up the perfect proposal.
- Price: For group bookings prices start at $72 per person, and for private sleigh rides prices will start at $375.
- Location: Blackcomb Mountain
- Perfect for: Couples and families.
6. Bungee Jumping
This is not for the faint hearted, but it is a must-do Whistler experience. Take a leap of faith off Bungee Bridge and plummeted down towards the Cheakamus Canyon before being caught a pulled back up by your bungee rope. This is an activity for adrenaline junkies and thrill-seekers 300ft above ice cold waters. Dress warmly for winter, and if you need extra encouragement, strap yourself to a friend and take the plunge together.
- Price: First time jumpers $140 per person, but if you are a dedicated jumper, or just want another go, second time jumpers pay only $80.
- Location: Bungee Bridge, Calcheak Forest Service Road. Just south of Whistler Village.
- Perfect for: Couples, groups, bachelor and bachelorette parties.
7. Dog Sled Tours
Take a tour of the beautiful Callaghan Valley south of Whistler Village via dog sled. Experience the comfy seats in the sled, or if you are feeling adventurous jump on the musher’s runners and hang on to the side.
- Price: From $458CAD
- Location: Callaghan Valley
- Perfect for: Small family groups (two adults, one child), individuals and couples.
A gentler way to travel over the snow. Experience beautiful walks through the forests around Whistler and even head up Whistler Mountain and check out the Peak to Peak Gondola while you journey around the mountains. Choose an snowshoe adventure to suit your ability and take the whole family out for a day in the Whistler winter wonderland.
- Price: From $99.99CAD per adult and $59.99 per child
- Location: Whistler Blackcomb ski resort
- Perfect for: Families, couples, groups
9. Axe Throwing
Just because it might be cold or wet outside does not mean the adventure has to stop. Head down to Function Junction just south of Whistler Village and experience the thrill of Axe Throwing with Forged. Feel like a true lumberjack while you and your friends aim axe after axe at targets. You could even organise a little competition in your group.
- Price: From $37CAD per person
- Location: Function Junction, Whistler
- Perfect for: Couples, families, large groups, bachelor and bachelorette parties.
10. Spa Days
If your body is tired from all your adventures in Whistler then you need to head to the spa. Spend a whole day recovering, or even head to the spa straight off the slopes. You and your body deserve it. The Scandinave Spa is probably the most luxurious spa in Whistler. The spa offers the age-old Finnish hydrotherapy technique of hot-cold-relax to ensure you feel rejuvenated after your visit. You can also book massages for yourself or as a gift for a loved one.
- Price: Prices start at $72CAD per person
- Location: 8010 Mons Road, just north of Whistler off Highway 99.
- Perfect for: Couples, solo-travelers, non-skiers, skiers, and anyone needed a day off.
11. Sliding Centre Bobsleigh and Skeleton
Although a year round venue, the sliding center really comes into its own over winter. Experience a true bobsleigh track with an experienced driver and three friends. Hit speeds over 125km/h around the 10 exciting twists and turns like a true winter Olympian. If you are after a solo mission, you could even try the Skeleton and head face-first through six corners and reach speeds up to 100km/h. If you have a need for speed then this whistler winter activity is not to be missed.
- Price: Skeleton $189CAD per person for both Bobsleigh and Skeleton.
- Location: Whistler Sliding Centre, Glacier Lane, Whistler
- Perfect for: Groups, families with teenage children, bachelor and bachelorette parties.
Whistler is the home of winter sports, and you will not be disappointed. The 2018-2019 season brought us nearly 10 metres of snow, but bird ski days and fantastic evening aprés sessions in the village. You do not want to miss out on the winter Whistler experience this coming season.