Explore Whistler | Scandinave Spa Edition
Whistler is a fantastic multicultural hub known for hitting the slopes, the unreal biking scene, the phenomenal backcountry exploration and the endless list of adventurous activities.
Everyone comes here for a common goal: to enjoy what the landscape has to offer. To take a break from the adrenaline rush, Whistler offers some excellent adventures to soothe the soul and offer much-needed relaxation.
What better way to treat yourself than going to the spa? There are a few spas that are most recommended in Whistler but consistently voted as the ‘Best Whistler Spa’ is none other than the Scandinave Spa Whistler. It’s a must-do (99 more to check out here) experience worth ticking off the list.
Top 5 Reasons to Go to Scandinave Spa Whistler
Immerse yourself in the beautiful sensations of Scandinave Spa Whistler, located just north of the main village. It is certainly an escape into an oasis. It’s nestled amongst the spruce and cedar trees overlooking a breathtaking mountain landscape. The site is accessible by car or a nice wander up the hill.
I’ve had lovely visits to this spa and have compiled a top-five list on why you should make this a must-do activity on your Whistler trip.
- Its all About Hydrotherapy
If you’re a first-timer to the spa, guest services will introduce the hydrotherapy cycle. We highly recommend following the sequenced cycle because it leaves you feeling great. Once you gain access to the baths you have unlimited time access within the day meaning you can take your time as you cycle through each stage.
The hydrotherapy order is hot, cold, relax and repeat. The spa cycle is amazing for skin, physical conditioning and an overall sense of well being both physically and mentally. The spa has hot tubs, cold pools/waterfalls, steam room, sauna, and various relaxation areas. Check this out for a more in-depth description of this cycle and the benefits of each stage. During the winter season, we love the out door hot tubs. After a long day of skiing, it helps to relax those aching muscles.
- The Silence
Scandinave Spa does get busy during peak times but the space is well designed so you almost never feel crowded, or that folks are getting into your bubble. Scandinave spa has strict rules on no technology within the baths and keeping talking levels to a minimum.
Complete silence is strongly encouraged. They even have certified “shushers” to keep you in check. From the experience of going with a chatty Cathy, you will be shushed if too loud. It’s an excuse not to talk, and for me, it’s an introvert’s dream.
- Beautiful Setting
The spa is located in a beautiful area that allows you to overlook the landscape. Other than the amenities associated with the hydrotherapy cycle, the spa is equipped with hammocks, day loungers, fire pits, yoga room, cafe, indoor and outdoor seating. There are so many little nooks for finding a space you can meditate… (I remember one visit we were so snuggly by an indoor fire pit, I had fallen asleep. The best nap of my life!)
- The Best Massages in Whistler
There’s nothing better after a day of hiking, biking or skiing then taking advantage of the massage services for relieving muscle tension or pain.
They accept bookings four months in advance for massages, and massage bookings include access to the baths and robe rental. Massage types include Restorative, Swedish Relaxation, Deep Tissue, Duo Massage, Registered Massage, and Prenatal. It will leave you feeling refreshed and very relaxed!
- Totally Digital Free
One of our favourite things about this spa is that they don’t allow you to have your phones when you enter. Take that advice and leave it in your locker to completely immerse yourself into the experience. So much of our daily lives revolve around computers and phones, take the time to disconnect. It’s refreshing and relaxing to have time to be in your thoughts focusing on the spa sensations.
The Spa Feels…. Winter Vs. Summer Vibes
Take it from us, we have gone to the Scandinave spa both in summer and winter and each season provides a different experience.
- Winter Season: This is our favourite season to visit the spa. The setting truly is that magical winter wonderland most people expect out of a visit to Whistler. If you get lucky enough to match up the timing with a delicate snowfall, it is the icing on the cake. The best apres ski feels is sinking into the hot tub and with the winter chill, you never feel like your overheating in the tub.
- Summer Season: The summer season you are exposed to all the colours of the cedar and spruce forest. In the hot summer, the cold plunge feels so refreshing and rejuvenating. Over the years summer’s in Whistler have attracted more and more tourists. The biking community has taken Whistler by storm. Every August, one of the biggest biking events is Crankworx attracting bikers from all over the world to compete and be a part of the action. With the longer days, people are busy getting all the activities in and the spa is a great opportunity to escape the hustle and bustle.
What to Bring With You (What to Wear)?
- Flip flops: Highly recommend bringing your pair of flip flops, they do have them available for purchase at the spa.
- Water Bottle: Bring a water bottle, they have plenty of water fountains and refill stations to keep hydrated. It’s important to drink water during this experience as helps to flush out the toxins.
- Book: If you don’t like to meditate in silence, it’s an excellent chance to read that novel you’ve been meaning to get to.
- Sunglasses/Hat: Due to the location whenever it is sunny, Whistler is super reflective due to the landscape so always good to have your sunnies and hat for protection.
- Wear a swimsuit: Everyone is required to wear a swimsuit at the spa.
- Do not bring your phone: Leave your phones in the locker. Your access to the baths means you will have access to a locker to store your belongings.
Tips for a Great Spa Day
From personal experience here are a few tips to keep you organized and have a wonderful spa experience.
- During peak seasons get to the spa early to avoid being waitlisted!
- Whistler Scandinave spa operates on a first come first serve basis for the baths. There is maximum capacity, so if it gets full you will have to wait till people finish their visit.
- The spa is quieter during the weekdays compared to weekends
- Book massages in advance
- Bath rates start at $75.00, no reservations required
- Robes are available for rent for $12.00
- Be respectful of people around you
- These are the peak times to bear in mind; October 12-14, November 9-12, December 21-January 4th, February 14th-17th.
- Change Rooms are fully equipped with showers, hairdryers, grooming space, & free lockers for your belongings
Other Top Spas in Whistler
Although Scandinave Spa consistently gets favourite votes, here are a few other recommended spas with rave reviews!
- Aviva Wellness
This spa has amazing reviews for its services across the board. Located within the Sundial Lodge in Whistler, one of the oldest spas but certainly still delivers your money’s worth. It truly is a great place that is conveniently close by for an apres-ski or bike.
- Nita Lake Lodge Spa
This award-winning spa is located in Whistler Creekside with beautiful scenery to offer. The spa prides itself on using naturopathic therapies to elevate your wellness. This location truly is really beautiful and personally, it’s a great spot to be away from the main village but still getting that Whistler feel!
- Whistler Day Spa
The Whistler Day Spa is located within the Pan Pacific Hotel offers a plethora of high- level services including massages, spa packages, facials, and manicures. To escape the village chaos or seeking rejuvenated treatments this is the place to be.
- Taman Sari Royal Heritage Spa
This award-winning spa is located inside the Hilton and one in the north village. It is the only authentic Javanese Spa in North America. The spa uses the best of traditional Indonesian royal methods to provide the best experience to anyone that walks in. Therapeutic oils are an essential part of the massage services.
Whistler Spas | An Easy Argument for Treating Yourself
We highly recommend taking some time to treat yourself on your holiday with a spa visit. It is a Whistler adventure to experience, whether at the Scandinave Spa Whistler or one of the other notable spas on the list.
Sometimes we forget to take an opportunity to relax and rejuvenate ourselves, with so many epic adventures. But in Whistler, why not enjoy a big day out, followed by an afternoon spent relaxing? Scandinave Spa Whistler is one of the top activities to hit after sending it down the mountain.